VMC Thrift Store Donation Policy – On behalf of the many thousands who benefit from the generosity of people like you, thank you, for your consideration and donations. Please review our donation policy below.
We accept new or gently used items only. All items must be season appropriate – i.e. clothing, outdoor furniture/garden items, and holiday decorations
• Spring/Summer donations are taken from January thru June
• Fall/Winter Donations are taken July thru December.
• Holiday Decorations are only taken the month prior to the holiday month. Exception, early October thru end of November for Christmas decorations.
Should any items not meet the acceptable donation standards at store drop off, they will not be accepted and if presented during a home pickup, our driver will leave an “Apology Card” at your door.
Acceptable Items List (adhering to aforementioned seasonal policy):
- Clothing & Shoes – all clothing items must be season appropriate and in usable condition. All men’s, women’s, children and infant clothing including outerwear, shoes/boots/sandals, jackets, ties, shirts, dresses, blouses, sweaters, pants, hats, gloves, handbags, purses, raincoats, overcoats, shorts, sleepwear, jeans, T-shirts and formal wear. Underwear & bathing suits will only be accepted if new in original packaging or with tags attached
- Household/Personal Items – Unopened cosmetics and toiletries, sunglasses, artificial flowers and trees, umbrellas, knick-knacks, antiques, jewelry, luggage, musical instruments, towels, area rugs, novelties, framed pictures/paintings, yard tools, hardware tools, bedding, draperies, blankets, bedspreads, quilts, sheets, pillow cases, lamps
- Kitchenware – Unopened cosmetics and toiletries, sunglasses, artificial flowers and trees, umbrellas, knick-knacks, antiques, jewelry, luggage, musical instruments, towels, area rugs, novelties, framed pictures/paintings, yard tools, hardware tools, bedding, draperies, blankets, bedspreads, quilts, sheets, pillow cases, lamps
- Games/Toys – Bicycles, tricycles, software for Play station, Xbox and Wii
- Small Appliances – All must be in working condition Irons and ironing boards, sewing machines, counter top convention and/or microwave ovens, clocks, hair dryers, electric griddles, blenders, coffee makers and toasters. Working portable heaters, fans and air conditioners.
- Electronics – All must be in working condition. Software and accessories, telephones-land lines & smart phones, answering machines, calculators, stereos, DVD players, video cameras, radios
- Sporting Goods – Camping equipment, roller blades, ice skates, golf clubs, baseball, football, basketball, ice hockey, soccer, tennis, lacrosse equipment and accessories, and fitness items
- Books, CDs & Videos -Hardback books- adult & children’s, CDs, DVDs, Blue Ray movies, record albums only with album sleeve.
- Furniture – Bedroom sets and pieces including nightstands, dining room sets and pieces, living room sets and pieces including end and coffee tables, kitchen sets and pieces, microwave carts, patio sets and pieces, office desks and related furniture, all wicker furniture, all upholstered furniture, loveseats and futons, overstuffed chairs, mirrors, dressers and chest of drawers, storage trunks, ping-pong tables, wood chairs, sofas, couches, swivel rocking chairs, wood rocking chairs, card tables, folding chairs, fireplace sets, wall sconces.
- Walkers, wheelchairs and scooters
All donated items that weigh more than 50 pounds (an amount drivers/attendants can safely lift) should be noted when scheduling your pick-up
We cannot accept Items that are torn, dirty, chipped, cracked unserviceable (broken) or in need of repair cannot be accepted. VMC Thrift Store employees may decline a donation if it is not clean, or in saleable condition or if they are unable to assist with larger items due to risk of injury.
- Baby equipment / furniture.
- Toys, stuffed animals board games and puzzles (unless still original package and unopened).
- Large Entertainment Centers and Large China closets.
- Any “TUBE” TVs or CRT computer monitors (due to environmental regulations).
- Ski equipment (due to saftey regulations)
- Large Appliances – Dishwashers, dryers, washers, heaters, stoves, refrigerators.
- BBQ grills and tanks, wall to wall carpets, bottles, cans, liquids and food, gas tools, hangers, auto rims, tires, ramps, exercise equipment, scrap items, lawn mowers, gas weed eaters and edgers.
- Pillows, Mattresses, box springs, beds Frames, roll away beds and cots, box springs, or convertible beds and waterbeds.
- Paperback books, Encyclopedias, magazines, periodicals and newspapers
- Yarns and material unless in bolts or original packaging
Please call (267) 731-6733 to schedule your donation today or feel free to drop off your items at 7126 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19135.
Thank you for your support!
92% of every donation directly supports our Veteran Community!
The VMC is a non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization | EIN/Tax ID: 23-2764079 | United Way Donor Option #14797419 | CFC Donor Option #48126